Re: no backlight on radeon after recent kernel "upgrade"s

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 09:56:33 EST

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > it to Len Brown for merging into 2.6.21, or NACK it if you'd rather do it in
> > the backlight class core.
>
> We can't change the backlight class code since some hardware can't read
> from the device, only write to it. Initialisation in that case is a bit
> different.

Initializing stuff after registering is also racy as the device is not
locked but we are going to clobber data in its properties struct. I don't
particularly care about that race, but...

Anyway, you have the 2.6.21-rc patch now, to ACK or NACK. I still think the
class should be handling this. If a device is write-only, it should have no
_get ops handler, which means that the class can easily differentiate the
two cases and do the right thing for both. There's less code duplication
that way.

Howerver, I *do* strongly wish for a way to combine various drivers into a
single backlight device, where radeon/intelfb takes care of some stuff,
ibm-acpi/asus-laptop/sony-laptop takes care of other stuff, etc. Also, a
standard naming for the builtin screen(s) would help, calling it "ibm",
"asus", "sony" is not good IMHO.

Henrique Holschuh