Re: [kvm-devel] PIO port width on various archs?

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 01:14:14 EST

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 10:58 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
I'm changing the kvm userspace interface to be more friendly to other archs. One issue is the PIO port size. x86 uses 16 bits to hold the port size (64K ports). Is that an issue for other archs?

I guess I could change it to __u32, but it's better to know what various architectures actually require.

PowerPC doesn't have any such concept; access to ISA PIO is done by
having the bridge translate a particular range of MMIO accesses as PIO.
I'm no expert, but I don't know of any mainstream processor other than
x86 that supports PIO.

I think ia64 does, but it's probably exactly the same as x86.