Re: bug in kernel 2.6.21-rc1-git1: conventional floppy drive cannotbe mounted without hanging up the whole system

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 05:38:11 EST

Uwe Bugla napsal(a):
Hi folks,

Hi.

Once again and for the last time: I do not state that floppy.c is broken. I only state that it is immpossible to mount a floppy drive with kernel 2.6.21-rc1-git1. Kernel 2.6.20 is OK. But 2.6.21-rc1-git1 is definitely buggy!
I did some work already:
a. I copied the following modules from the intact and sane kernel 2.6.20 into the 2.6.21-rc1-git1 tree:
cdrom.h, floppy.c, init.h, io.h, proc_misc.c, setup.c, timer.h, uaccess.h
b. I adjusted some hunks of the patch for module main.c (part of patch-2.6.21-rc1) to make the kernel compile without errors.
But the problem still persists, and I do not have any idea anymore where the offensive hunks in patch-2.6.21-rc1 could reside.

Questions:
a. Can someone please confirm the described problem?

Yup (last -mm).

b. Can someone please take action to find out where the buggy code resides?

I'll take a look. I've seen here and tried to debug it down some time ago
without any result. Sysrq is dead, probably some kind of locking issue. LOCKDEP
screams silence, code reading returned nothing. I thought, it's problem inside
my setup, I gave it up (even reporting). But it seems to be real problem now.

c. Why is this untested material being pushed into main vanilla - what is going on at kernel.org please?

Hard to say, nobody is perfect, this should never happen, but unfortunately it does.

regards,
--
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/ Jiri Slaby
faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz

Hnus <hnus@xxxxxxxxxx> is an alias for /dev/null