Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 05:50:05 EST

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:35:17AM +0100, Ingo Molnar (mingo@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> * Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Btw, 'evserver' in the name means 'event server', so you might think
> > about changing the name :)
>
> why should i change the name? The 'outer' loop, which feeds requests to
> threadlets, is an epoll based event loop. The inner loop, where all the
> application complexity resides, is a threadlet. This is the "more
> intelligent queueing" model i talked about in my reply to David 4 days
> ago:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/22/180
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/22/191

:)
Ingo, of course it was a joke.

Even having main dispatcher as epoll/kevent loop, the _whole_ threadlet
model is absolutely micro-thread in nature and not state machine/event.
So it does not have events at all, especially with speculations about
removing completion notifications - fire and forget model.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov