Re: [RFC] killing the NR_IRQS arrays.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 03:12:46 EST

> What I really object to is not the irq numbers. As an arbitrary number
> does not impose limits. What I object to is drivers that can't handle the
> full range of numbers, and the limits imposed upon those numbers when
> you require them to be indexes into an array.
>
> For talking to user space I expect we will have numbers for a long time
> to come yet.

I wouldn't bother too much about going into bus specific bits like
irq_request(dev, ...). Well, actually, I _do_ think it's a good thing to
pass the struct device to irq_request but that's a different issue
completely.

I think bus types should provide bus specific helpers to obtain the
struct irq *'s for a given device on that bus, but the API for
requesting/freeing them shall remain generic.

Ben.