Re: 2.6.20 SATA error

From: Tomas Carnecky
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 09:52:53 EST

Gerhard Mack wrote:
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
[...]
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/66
[...]
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/44
[...]
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
[...]
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/25
[...]
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/16
[...]
ata1.00: configured for PIO4

I have the same problem, though it appears randomly. It seems like the chances for this happening are bigger if I do heavy disk I/O. The only way to fix that is to shut down the computer and wait a few seconds before rebooting (if I don't wait, the problem doesn't go away). I bought new harddrives, so it's most likely not caused by the drives, I also tried putting the drives onto a different controller (I have four on-board SATA controller and two harddrives), that didn't help either, so I suspect its the cable - SATA cables are very error-prone, I don't trust them as they don't hold that tightly in the socket.

tom