Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 05:27:37 EST

* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > Threadlets behave much worse without event driven model, events can
> > behave worse without backed threads, they are mutually compensating.
>
> I think Ingo demonstrated unoptimized threadlets to be within 5% to
> the speed of kevent. [...]

that was epoll not kevent, but yeah. To me the biggest question is, how
much improvement does kevent bring relative to epoll? Epoll is a pretty
good event queueing API, and it covers all the event sources today. It
is also O(1) throughout, so i dont really understand how it could only
achieve half the speed of kevent in the evserver_epoll/kevent.c
benchmark. We need to understand that first.

Ingo