Re: minor device number request for /dev/kvm (kernel-based virtualmachine)

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 07:00:44 EST

Mathiasen, Torben wrote:
10 char Non-serial mice, misc features
nnn = /dev/kvm kernel-based virtual machine (hardware
virtualization extensions)

Major 10, minor 256 has been assigned to /dev/kvm. Let me know if this is nok okay.

It doesn't work. The culprit appears to be

drivers/char/misc.c:

register_chrdev(MISC_MAJOR,"misc",&misc_fops)

which in turn means:

fs/char_dev.c:
int register_chrdev(unsigned int major, const char *name,
const struct file_operations *fops)
{
struct char_device_struct *cd;
struct cdev *cdev;
char *s;
int err = -ENOMEM;

cd = __register_chrdev_region(major, 0, 256, name);

So misc minor numbers under 256 are not supported.

What's the way out? Increase the region size? I don't know if that's safe.