Re: Thread flags modified without set_thread_flag() (non atomically)

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 14:59:41 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:34:51 +0100 Haavard Skinnemoen <hskinnemoen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:10:37 -0800 Mathieu Desnoyers <compudj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
avr32/kernel/ptrace.c: ti->flags |= _TIF_BREAKPOINT;
No, I don't immediately see anything in the flush_old_exec() code path
which tells us that nobody else can look up this thread_info (or be holding
a ref to it) in this context.

avr32/kernel/ptrace.c: ti->flags |= TIF_SINGLE_STEP;
heh. Haarvard, you got a bug.
Heh, yeah. That would indeed explain some strange gdb behaviour. It
will only trigger when single-stepping into an exception or interrupt
handler so thanks for pointing it out; I would have had a hard time
figuring it out on my own...

yup, tricky.

If there's a lesson here, it is "don't provide #defines in the header for
both versions".

Hrm, but the bitmask version is useful (and correctly used) whenever
the flag is read and tested.

The proper way to do this would be to change every use the _TIF_* flag in a flag comparison
for a call to test_ti_thread_flag(). I wonder if gcc optimizes multiple constant test_bit() applying
on the same variable linked by logical and/or so it becomes a single read and a small set of comparisons.

The block code does a similar thing:

#define REQ_RW (1 << __REQ_RW)
#define REQ_FAILFAST (1 << __REQ_FAILFAST)
#define REQ_SORTED (1 << __REQ_SORTED)
#define REQ_SOFTBARRIER (1 << __REQ_SOFTBARRIER)

and I've caught Jens using the wrong identifier at least twice in the past.

It's better I think to just provide #defines for the bit offsets and
open-code the shifting if needed. Like PG_foo and BH_Foo.

I don't think either of those need to be atomic though, since both of
them happen in monitor mode with interrupts disabled.

That's true until you implement SMP ;)