Re: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related patches

From: Bill Irwin
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 16:01:25 EST

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:06:19AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Where's the rest of the memory? tmpfs? mlocked? hugetlb?

I know of one sounding similar to this where unreclaimable pages are
pinned by refcounts held by bio's spread across about 850 spindles.
It's mostly read traffic. Several different tunables could be used
to work around it, nr_requests in particular, but also clamping down
on dirty limits to preposterously low levels and setting preposterously
large values of min_free_kbytes. Their kernel is, of course,
substantially downrev (2.6.9-based IIRC), so douse things heavily with
grains of salt.

-- wli