Re: 2.6.21-rc2 radeon backlight

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 16:02:28 EST

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007, David Miller wrote:
> Why don't we compromise for 2.6.21 by marking the Radeon backlight
> stuff EXPERIMENTAL until the cases where IBM ACPI works and the
> Radeon backlight stuff does not are worked out?

What ibm-acpi backlight control does is *very* different from what the
radeon backlight control does.

ibm-acpi talks to the ThinkPad EC to change the brightness of the backlight,
it has *NO* on/off support. Radeon talks to the video chipset to turn the
LVDS output on/off (or something to that effect), and thus to turn the
backlight on/off.

Henrique Holschuh