Re: userspace pagecache management tool

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 17:26:16 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Well, backup programs are a unique case. Let's say instead that the user
has just generated a 600MB ISO image.

The kernel *just doesn't know* whether the user will next try to read the
kernel tree or will next try to read that ISO image.

That, Rik, is my point, and is the entire point of this work.

I still don't understand why "the backup program flushed my data out
of the cache with POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED" is an improvement over "the
backup program flushed my data out of the cache by reading other files".

Your code may be useful for a few specialized situations, but I don't
see it actually fixing most of the examples you gave in your
announcement, except for the DVD copying one.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group