Re: [1/6] 2.6.21-rc2: known regressions

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Mar 04 2007 - 21:31:05 EST

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 02:50:31 +0100 Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This email lists some known regressions in 2.6.21-rc2 compared to 2.6.20
> that are not yet fixed in Linus' tree.

We seem to have broken an unusually large amount of stuff this time.

partial post-mortem:

- The ACPICA merge landed in -mm super-late: basically it was in mainline
a week afterwards and saw only a single -mm release.

Part of the reason for this short period in -mm was that ACPICA had its
paws all over x86_64 code and conflicted badly with significant changes
in the x86_64 tree.

That happens sometimes. But when it does, the mess lands in my lap
rather than in the laps of the perpetrators.

Lesson: keep the code well-factored so that different subsystems don't
soil each others' kennels.

- The hrtimers/dynticks stuff is simply hard: timekeeping, low-level x86,
even APICs. These are areas in which things break a lot, so churning it
was inevitably going to cause problems.

Lesson: none, I think. Low-level x86 support is just hard, and
changing it breaks things.

So that accounts for _some_ of the damage, but I wonder if there's more to
it than that.