Re: [patch] disable NMI watchdog by default

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 11:02:08 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [patch] disable NMI watchdog by default

there's a new NMI watchdog related problem: KVM crashes on certain bzImages because ... we enable the NMI watchdog by default (even if the user does not ask for it) , and no other OS on this planet does that so KVM doesnt have emulation for that yet. So KVM injects a #GP, which crashes the Linux guest:

general protection fault: 0000 [#1]
PREEMPT SMP
Modules linked in:
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c011a8ae>] Not tainted VLI
EFLAGS: 00000246 (2.6.20-rc5-rt0 #3)
EIP is at setup_apic_nmi_watchdog+0x26d/0x3d3

and no, i did /not/ request an nmi_watchdog on the boot command line!

Solution: turn off that darn thing! It's a debug tool, not a 'make life harder' tool!!

with this patch the KVM guest boots up just fine.

And with this my laptop (Lenovo T60) also stops its sporadic hard hanging (sometimes in acpi_init(), sometimes later during bootup, sometimes much later during actual use) as well. It hung with both nmi_watchdog=1 and nmi_watchdog=2, so it's generally the fact of NMI injection that is causing problems, not the NMI watchdog variant, nor any particular bootup code.

The patch is unintrusive.

I'm missing something, what limits this to systems running under kvm?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>