RE: Nfs over tcp retries

From: Andy Chittenden
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 11:29:46 EST

> Why is the server disconnecting from the client in the first
> place? That
> seems odd...

To cut a long story short, it comes down to a resource issue: the server
decided to sever ties with the client as it knew the client would
reconnect if it needed to.

> Servers commonly implement duplicate request caches that depend on a
> combination of the XID, port number RPC program number and
> RPC procedure
> number (See http://www.connectathon.org/talks96/werme1.html). In order
> for that to work, the clients have to obey the convention that they
> reuse port numbers as well as XIDs when replaying a request.

Thanks. Since I sent the original message, I'd stumbled upon this thread
too that suggested that:
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2005-October/001417.html>
.

We're currently looking into what Solaris does.

Thanks again for your help.

--
Andy, BlueArc Engineering