Re: PAGE_SIZE Availability Inconsistency

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 18:59:49 EST

David Brown a écrit :
I was rtfc'ing the code one day and noticed somethings about the
PAGE_SIZE define that is kinda inconsistent around its relative
location to the __KERNEL__ define.

On some architectures the PAGE_SIZE is outside the __KERNEL__ define
(i386 and x86_64) and on others its inside the define (ia64 and
powerpc). I was wondering if this is because the powerpc and ia64
architectures have dynamic page sizes so that's why they can't export
PAGE_SIZE outside __KERNEL__.

I'm kinda wondering how I'm supposed to write portable user-space code
if I want to use the PAGE_SIZE define on different architectures.

The real question is : why do you need PAGE_SIZE from user-space code ?

If it's for mmap() use, you should use getpagesize()