Re: [patch] epoll use a single inode ...

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 02:16:20 EST

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> I would definitly *love* saving dentries for pipes (and sockets too), but how
> are you going to get the inode ?

I was not planning to touch anything but epoll, signalfd and timerfd
files.

> pipes()/sockets() can use read()/write()/rw_verify_area() and thus need
> file->f_path.dentry->d_inode (so each pipe needs a separate dentry)

Currently, they use a single inode, and multiple dentries (to give the
name of the class). But this could be changed to a single dentry like
Linus was suggesting. I'll wait for Al's reply before doing anything.
Memory saving can be something, on top of the already big one of avoiding
code duplication.

- Davide