Re: [RFC] BadRAM still not ready for inclusion ? (was: Re: Free Linux Driver Development!)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 04:04:08 EST

Hi!

> >What's so hard about submitting a 200 line patch to LKML?
>
> that's what i was wondering about ;D
> it's not the first time, that i see nice features not being submitted to lkml.
>
> anyway - pavel (thanks btw!) just pointed me to some param "mem=exactmap" :
>
> >I think functionality is there in latest vanila with mem=exactmap even
> >w/o patches.
>
> so, maybe we need to find out _if_ and _how_ this could make BadRAM obsolete (i.e. if this is a good alternative) ?
> (so we won't need to discuss about BadRAM inclusion anymore. :)
>
> what i found is:
>
> 894 memmap=exactmap [KNL,IA-32,X86_64] Enable setting of an exact
> 895 E820 memory map, as specified by the user.
> 896 Such memmap=exactmap lines can be constructed based on
> 897 BIOS output or other requirements. See the memmap=nn@ss
> 898 option description.
> 899
> 900 memmap=nn[KMG]@ss[KMG]
> 901 [KNL] Force usage of a specific region of memory
> 902 Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.
> 903
> 904 memmap=nn[KMG]#ss[KMG]
> 905 [KNL,ACPI] Mark specific memory as ACPI data.
> 906 Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.
> 907
> 908 memmap=nn[KMG]$ss[KMG]
> 909 [KNL,ACPI] Mark specific memory as reserved.
> 910 Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.

> this indeed looks like something being able to replace BadRAM, but
> the question is, how to handle/enable that and how to translate
> BadRAM patterns from memtest86 to be usable. (i.e.: writing a HowTo
> for the average user not being a kernel wizard)

Writing a howto, or maybe writting a shellscript to do a translation
:-). It will not be trivial, but certainly better than trying to push
the badram patch. Good luck ;-).

(e820 map is available from dmesg after boot, and perhaps from other
places. First, you'll need to duplicate it on cmdline using
memmap=... arguments. Then, if bad ram is in the middle of something,
you'll need to split memmap= accordingly).
Pavel