Re: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()

From: JÃrn Engel
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 06:41:07 EST

On Wed, 7 March 2007 09:51:35 +0100, Jan Kara wrote:

> I'll probably first write some userspace fs-reorganizer to find out how
> much these changes in layout are able to give you in performance (i.e.
> whether it's worth the effort of more complicated kernel online
> defragmenter).

Have tried profiling the read accesses and prereading them
asynchronously on startup? That appears to have improved E17 a lot.
See http://lca2007.linux.org.au/talk/101 (and watch the video).

JÃrn

--
The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of
his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full