Re: Wanted: simple, safe x86 stack overflow detection

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 10:05:40 EST

> > just removing the if() and the explicit IRQ enabling already makes irqs no longer nest...
>
> I can see why that would raise eyebrows. I can see getting bashed
> mercilessly with interrupt latency concerns as a result here. Can you
> suggest any defenses?

hardirq handlers are supposed to be fast. If they're slow the code
should (and generally is) using bottom halves/tasklets/softirqs. Combine
this with the fact that each new irq handler will start with a bunch of
cache misses, the latency added isn't generally that significant. In
addition, the cache miss thing makes the nesting suck a lot, it's faster
to batch the irqs in sequence.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org