Re: [patch] disable NMI watchdog by default

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 14:54:58 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:

there's a new NMI watchdog related problem: KVM crashes on certain bzImages because ... we enable the NMI watchdog by default (even if the user does not ask for it) , and no other OS on this planet does that so KVM doesnt have emulation for that yet. So KVM injects a #GP, which crashes the Linux guest:

I'm missing something, what limits this to systems running under kvm?

Most likely kvm doesn't implement the msrs which drive the nmi watchdog. That makes it a kvm bug, not a problem with the nmi watchdog. Emulating it correctly is fairly difficult, though, especially if we want to migrate virtual machines between different processor models, so I hope this goes in.