Re: hardwired VMI crap

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 16:15:25 EST

* Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When we're about two weeks away from a product release and you are
> threatening to unmerge or block our code because we didn't create an
> abstract interrupt controller, we re-used the APIC and IO-APIC, this
> is uber rocket science. [...]

see my mail to you below: you've been told about the clockevents problem
months ago, that you shouldnt hardwire PIT details and that you should
be registering a clockevents device. You cannot credibly claim that you
didnt know about this.

> We've been doing things this way, with public patches for over a year,
> and you've even been CC'd on some of the discussions. [...]

i've specifically objected, numerous times - the result of which was
that when you submitted it to lkml you didnt Cc: me ;) The VMI crap went
in 'under the radar' via the x86_64 tree.

> [...] So it is a little late to tell us - "redesign your hypervisor,
> or else.."

Also, it was /you/ who claimed that paravirt_ops can take care of
whatever design change on the Linux side - that claim is apparently
history now and you are now claiming "there's a product on the road, we
cannot change the hypervisor ABI"? Should i cite that email of yours
too?

Ingo