Re: refcounting drivers' data structures used in sysfs buffers

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 12:02:40 EST

On 3/9/07, Oliver Neukum <oneukum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Freitag, 9. März 2007 17:32 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > > Can you explain the reasoning that led to these conclusions? And what
> > > exactly was your lightning bolt?
> >
> > The old race between disconnect and IO to attribute via sysfs again.
> > If I cannot disassociate the drivers from the buffers in the buffers, drivers
> > must not deallocate the data necessary to answer sysfs callbacks while
> > a buffer exists.
>
> Why wouldn't you be able to dissociate a driver from a buffer? That was
> the whole point of adding .orphan to sysfs_buffer and creating
> sysfs_buffer_collection -- it was supposed to solve exactly this race.

It did solve the race but deadlocked when unbinding devices through sysfs.
Linux therefore asked for the patch to be reverted and wants the isue solved
with refcounting.

I think we already have all refcounting that is needed. What is
missing is subsystem-provided ->release() hooks for drivers to release
driver-specific resources when a device finally goes away.

--
Dmitry