Re: 2.6.21-rc3-mm1 RSDL results

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 15:24:36 EST

On Saturday 10 March 2007 05:07, Mark Lord wrote:
> Mmm.. when it's good, it's *really* good.
> My desktop feels snappier and all of that.
>
> No noticeable jerkiness of windows/scrolling,
> which I *do* observe with the stock scheduler.

Thats good.

> But when it's bad, it stinks.
> Like when a "make -j2" kernel rebuild is happening in a background window

And that's bad. When you say "it stinks" is it more than 3 times slower? It
should be precisely 3 times slower under that load (although low cpu using
things like audio wont be affected by running 3 times slower). If it feels
like much more than that much slower, there is a bug there somewhere. As
another reader suggested, how does it run with the compile 'niced'? How does
it perform with make (without a -j number).

> This is on a Pentium-M 760 single-core, w/2GB SDRAM (notebook).

What HZ are you running? Are you running a Beryl desktop?

> JADP (Just Another Data Point).

Appreciated, thanks.

--
-ck