Re: should RTS init in serial core be tied to CRTSCTS

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 15:39:46 EST

"Tosoni" <jp.tosoni@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> OTOH I wonder what does the device in question require WRT the
>> serial port and WRT RTS line in particular.
>> I know there are some half-duplex converters which drive RTS only
>> while sending and which require CTS to send.
>
> As far as I know in the old times this was the *standard* way to use a modem
> (per CCITT V24), and even nowadays many modems can handle this method for
> transmit, to stay compatible with the standard.

I think it wasn't standard for real modems as they were full-duplex
(even these 1200/75 or what was that) but it was for other devices
such as current loops (which were frequently half-duplex).

I've seen such devices quite recently, perhaps ~ 10 years ago.
OTOH I think even "current" PC BIOSes use such signaling.

> Think of radio modems. Some are inherently half duplex.

Sure. But /dev/ttyS* ports are full-duplex, with CRTSCTS or without,
so they don't use such handshaking.

>> They are perhaps a bit broken <snip>
> No, no, they apply an old standard. Probably they are old as well.

I was thinking of a particular piece of hardware and it was definitely
broken a bit. "Selective compliance", maybe.

> It's a pity that Linux (or Unixes) never handled RTS this way.
> I feel that the /proc or sysfs solutions are the best to alter this well
> established default in this driver. It would not break existing installed
> hardware.

/proc is probably no-no.

For such signaling, it would perhaps be better to invent another flag,
similar to CRTSCTS. The driver would, of course, need some real code
for that.
--
Krzysztof Halasa