Re: 2.6.21-rc3-mm1 RSDL results

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 16:58:25 EST

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 03:39:59PM -0600, Matt Mackall wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:19:18AM +1100, Con Kolivas wrote:
> > >
> > > Ah that's some nice detective work there. Mainline does some rather complex
> > > accounting on sched_fork including (possibly) a whole timer tick which rsdl
> > > does not do. make forks off continuously so what you say may well be
> > > correct. I'll see if I can try to revert to the mainline behaviour in
> > > sched_fork (which was obviously there for a reason).
> >
> > Wow! Thanks Matt. You've found a real bug too. This seems to fix the qemu
> > misbehaviour and bitmap errors so far too! Now can you please try this to see
> > if it fixes your problem?
>
> Sorry, it's about the same. I now suspect an accounting glitch involving
> pipe wake-ups.
>
> 5x memload: good
> 5x execload: good
> 5x forkload: good
> 5 parallel makes: mostly good
> make -j 5: bad
>
> So what's different between makes in parallel and make -j 5? Make's
> job server uses pipe I/O to control how many jobs are running.

Matt, could you check with plain 2.6.20 + Con's patch ? It is possible
that he added bugs when porting to -mm, or that someting in -mm causes
the trouble. Your experience with -mm seems so much different from mine
with mainline, there must be a difference somewhere !

Con, is your patch necessary for mainline patch too ? I see that it
should apply, but sometimes -mm may justify changes.

Best regards,
Willy