TCP MSG_PEEK assertion issue ...

From: davef1624
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 18:07:03 EST

Hello,

I periodically see the following TCP kernel assertion errors in /var/log/message
(it does seem that networking is eventually able to recover from these errors):

kernel: KERNEL: assertion (flags & MSG_PEEK) failed at net/ipv4/tcp.c (1171)
kernel: KERNEL: assertion (flags & MSG_PEEK) failed at net/ipv4/tcp.c (1171)
kernel: KERNEL: assertion (tp->copied_seq == tp->rcv_nxt || (flags & (MSG_PEEK | MSG_TRUNC))) failed at net/ipv4/tcp.c (1235)
kernel: KERNEL: assertion (flags & MSG_PEEK) failed at net/ipv4/tcp.c (1171)
kernel: KERNEL: assertion (tp->copied_seq == tp->rcv_nxt || (flags & (MSG_PEEK | MSG_TRUNC))) failed at net/ipv4/tcp.c (1235)

These errors only seem to occur when using the sk98lin (SysKonnect) Network Device Driver,
and a Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (from Marvell I believe).
(The other NIC cards we're using in-house don't exhibit this issue).

I've seen postings concerning this issue over the past year or so,
but have not seen a clear resolution and/or understanding of the root-cause of this issue.

I'm in the process of upgrading my sk98lin network driver to the latest from SysKonnect
in an attempt to see if this corrects the problem.

Does anybody have any insight into this problem?

Best regards,
Dave F