Re: ABI coupling to hypervisors via CONFIG_PARAVIRT

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 18:38:39 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[...] If that is the case then my ABI worries would indeed be wrong and i'd owe Zach a big fat apology [and more] for my flames ;-)

that apology i very much owe to Zach no matter what the outcome of the discussion. Zach, some of my mindless characterisations of the quality of VMI code (and of your intentions) were really out of bound and were unfair, and i'd like to apologize for that :-/

That's fine. Despite not having an open source hypervisor, we really don't have evil intentions, and we really don't want to create tension or impede the progress of anyone else. We think this work has positive benefits for Linux, our hypervisor, and others as well.

Some of our code did very much need fixing, and the positive thing we can take away from such a heated discussion is that we probably got more eyes on our code, maybe trying to find the evil, and instead finding bugs or things we could have done better.

At least someone did need to play devil's advocate, as this is an important thing to get right for the future direction of Linux, and I respect you for doing so, and don't take offense.

Zach