Re: and try remove another quirk on this computers Re: [3/6]2.6.21-rc2: known regressions

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 00:47:33 EST

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:

> With this quirk I got this oops on hibernate (but computer still
> working)

Well, strictly speaking it's a warning, not an oops per se.

What happens is that the quirk wants to do an "ioremap_nocache()", which
allocates memory, and that happens very early during initialization when
interrupts are disabled.

And you're really not supposed to allocate memory, except using
GFP_ATOMIC. But we've always been lax about that during early boot, so we
have stuff that does. And resume ends up doing a lot of the same things
early boot does, and shows issues like this.

So the quirk is probably still a good idea, and the warning message is
just that - a very scary warning message, but not an indicator that
anything is seriously screwed up for you.

(It is an indication of a real bug, though, even though it's harmless in
practice in this case)

Linus