Re: libata extension

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 10:02:55 EST

Hi,

On Sunday 11 March 2007, Vitaliyi wrote:
> Good Day
>
> Say i want to implement extended set of ATA commands available to
> userspace for building diagnostic tools.
> I need 0x40 -- read verify and 0x32 -- write long with error handling,

Mark Lord is working on READ/WRITE_LONG support for libata,
he has posted draft patch recently on linux-ide mailing list.

[ Please consider reading/joining linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ML,
it is where Linux ATA discussion happens... ]

> for example. I was trying ide driver through ioctl's, but seems it
> lack of functionality and full of gotchas. Furthermore it oopses
> sometimes.

READ/WRITE_LONG is unsupported and as you've already noticed
TASKFILE ioctls are full of gotchas...

> Is it possible to use libata for such purpose or i need to write
> separate IDE driver ?

It should be possible using ATA pass-through, some libata changes
may be required but it is the right way to go IMO.

Bart