Re: Style Question

From: Cong WANG
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 09:52:37 EST

2007/3/12, David Schwartz <davids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> NULL has the same bit pattern as the number zero. (I'm not saying the bit
> pattern is all zeroes. And I am not even sure if NULL ought to
> have the same
> pattern as zero.) So C++ could use (void *)0, if it would let itself :p

They don't have to have the same bit pattern. There's no logical reason a
NULL pointer couldn't have all bits set and the number zero have all bits
cleared.

Casts are perrmited to change the bit pattern. For example '(float) 7' can
result in a different bit pattern than '7' and similarly '(void *) 0' can
result in a different bit pattern from '0'.

As a trivial example, consider an LP64 system. NULL will have the bit
pattern of 64 zero bits, while '0' will have the bit pattern of 32 zero
bits.

DS

I agree. C99 standard just says:

6.3.2.3 Pointers

"3 An integer constant expression with the value 0, or such an
expression cast to type void *, is called a null pointer constant. If
a null pointer constant is converted to a pointer type, the resulting
pointer, called a null pointer, is guaranteed to compare unequal to a
pointer to any object or function."