Re: 2.6.21-rc suspend regression: sysfs deadlock

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 17:08:46 EST

On 3/13/07, Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Alan Stern wrote:

> On the other hand, a quick survey of the kernel source shows that
> DEVICE_ATTR is used over 1500 times. Auditing all of them is not a job
> for the faint-of-heart!

Indeed, and faint-hearted Hugh wasn't intending to do so: but
stout-hearted Alan will need to, won't he, before his patch can go in?

I think we could rely on subsystems maintainers to let us know if
there are potential problems. For example I can tell that neither
input, serio nor gameport subsystems use sysfs to destroy their
devices (action on sysfs may cause some other device to be destroyed
but that should be ok, only self-destruction is not allowed, right?)

--
Dmitry