Re: Stolen and degraded time and schedulers

From: Dan Hecht
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 16:26:32 EST

How is cpustat->steal used? How does it get out to usermode?

Via /proc/stat, used by modern 'top', maybe other utilities. It is
useful to users who want to see where the time is really going from
inside a guest when running on a (para)virtual machine.

I believe previous set of xen paravirt-ops patches already handled
cases #2 and #3 (but no longer do since switching to clockevents), and
the old vmitime code did also. Obviously, we need revamp this stuff
to make it fit in with the new clockevents/hrtimer way of doing things.

I added stolen time accounting to xen-pv_ops last night. For Xen, at
least, it wasn't hard to fit into the clockevent infrastructure. I just
update the stolen time accounting for each cpu when it gets a timer
tick; they seem to get a tick every couple of seconds even when idle.

Sounds good. I don't see this in your patchset you sent yesterday though; did you add it after sending out those patches? if so, could you forward the new patch? does it explicitly prevent stolen time from getting accounted as user/system time or does it just rely on NO_HZ mode sort of happening to work that way (since the one shot timer is skipped ahead for missed ticks)?

thanks,
Dan