Re: USB Keyboard

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 14:00:33 EST

On 3/15/07, Jiri Kosina <jikos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
(added linux-usb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to CC)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

> >> I have multiple AMD 64-bit servers in several configurations, with
> >> several different motherboards, which fail to recognize a USB keyboard
> >> when booted from a "stock" Linux kernel. They only work with a RedHat
> >> kernel! I have removed all but one CPU from one in an attempt to find
> >> the problem.
> > [...]
> >> linux-2.6.8 linux-2.6.9 linux-2.6.10 linux-2.6.11
> >> linux-2.6.11.9 linux-2.6.12 linux-2.6.12.5 linux-2.6.13
> >> linux-2.6.13.4 linux-2.6.15.4 linux-2.6.16.24 linux-2.6.16.4
> >> linux-2.6.19
> > Could you please turn on USB debugging (and also maybe HID debugging, but
> > usb debug should be more interesting now) and send us the logs?
> Ouch! I can't do anything by copy from a screen! There is no way to get
> `dmesg` without the keyboard! That's why I sent a request to
> linux-kernel, hoping that the problem would sound familiar. All I can do
> is boot the system (off a CD-ROM) and then pull the plug when the
> keyboad doesn't work!

You state that this happens on different hardware configurations, which
looks pretty strange, there are many 64bit amd systems with working USB
keyboards.

Do you happen to have USB Legacy setting in BIOS? If so, could you try
turning it off?

Also, does this happen only with one particular type of keyboard, or with
various ones?

Seeing .config might also be interesting.

--
Dmitry