Re: [patch 6/13] signal/timer/event fds v7 - timerfd core ...

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 20:36:59 EST

Davide Libenzi a écrit :

+struct timerfd_ctx {
+ struct hrtimer tmr;
+ ktime_t tintv;
+ spinlock_t lock;
+ wait_queue_head_t wqh;
+ unsigned long ticks;
+};

+static struct kmem_cache *timerfd_ctx_cachep;

+ timerfd_ctx_cachep = kmem_cache_create("timerfd_ctx_cache",
+ sizeof(struct timerfd_ctx),
+ 0, SLAB_PANIC, NULL, NULL);

Do we really expect thousands of active timerfd_ctx ?

If not, using kmalloc()/kfree() would be fine, because sizeof(struct timerfd_ctx) is so small.

on SMP / NUMA platforms, each new kmem_cache is rather expensive. (memory allocated at kmem_cache_create(), but also memory used when cache is not empty, with slabs in freelist for each cpu/node)

Using a general cache might be cheaper : No memory overhead for yet another kmem_cache.

I know individual caches are good to spot memory leaks, but in timerfd case, you dont have mem leaks, do you ? :)