Re: [patch] rfc: introduce /dev/hugetlb

From: Ken Chen
Date: Sat Mar 24 2007 - 03:12:12 EST

On 3/23/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
a) Ken observes that obtaining private hugetlb memory via hugetlbfs
involves "fuss".

b) the libhugetlbfs maintainers then go off and implement a no-fuss way of
doing this.

Hmm, what started this thread was libhugetlbfs maintainer complained
how "fuss" it was to create private hugetlb mapping and suggested an
even bigger kernel change with pagetable_operations API. The new API
was designed with an end goal of introduce /dev/hugetlb (as one of the
feature, they might be thinking more). What motivated me here is to
point out that we can achieve the same goal of having a /dev/hugetlb
with existing hugetlbfs infrastructure and the implementation is
relatively straightforward. What it also buys us is a bit more
flexibility to the end user who wants to use the interface directly.