Re: I/O memory barriers vs SMP memory barriers

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 23:24:37 EST

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 11:38:43PM +0200, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> > > Hmmmm...
> > >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > 3. Orders memory accesses and device accesses, but not necessarily
> > the union of the two -- mb(), rmb(), wmb().
>
> If mb/rmb/wmb are required to order normal memory accesses, that means
> that the change made in commit 9623b3732d11b0a18d9af3419f680d27ea24b014
> to always define mb/rmb/wmb as barrier() on ARM systems was wrong.

This was on UP ARM systems, right? Assuming that ARM CPUs respect the
usual CPU-self-consistency semantics, and given the background that
device accesses are ordered, then it might well be OK to have mb/rmb/wmb
be barrier() on UP ARM systems.

Most likely not on SMP ARM systems, however.

> Does everybody agree on these semantics, though? At least David seems
> to think that mb/rmb/wmb aren't required to order normal memory accesses
> against each other..

Not on UP. On SMP, ordering is (almost certainly) required.

> > 4. Orders only device accesses, which is what seems to be looked
> > for here.
>
> Yes. (As above, on ARM, SMP synchronisation does need barriers but
> device synchronisation does not. If mb/rmb/wmb were only required to
> synchronise device accesses, they could have been regular compiler
> barriers on ARM, but if they are also required to synchronise normal
> memory accesses against each other, they have to map to hardware
> barriers.)

Again, for kernels built for UP, you might well be able to make the
mb() primitives be barrier(). I don't see it for SMP, though.

Thanx, Paul