ATA ACPI (was Re: Linux 2.6.21-rc5)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 01:51:32 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
There's various fixes here, ranging from some architecture updates (ia64, ARM, MIPS, SH, Sparc64) to KVM, networking and network drivers.

And random one-liners.

But probably more important, and likely much more visible to most people is the fixes for the fallout from the hrtimers and no-HZ changes, and some of the ACPI regressions.

Those timer changes ended up much more painful than anybody wished for, but big thanks to Thomas Gleixner for being on it like a weasel on a dead rat, and the regression list has kept shrinking.

So if you have reported a regression in the 2.6.21-rc series, please check 2.6.21-rc5, and update your report as appropriate (whether fixed or "still problems with xyzzy").

Linus

[just got back from vacation, or would have sent this earlier]

FWIW, I'm still leaning towards disabling libata ACPI support by default for 2.6.21.

Upstream has Alan's fix for the worst PATA problems, but for different reasons, I think PATA ACPI and SATA ACPI support in libata does not feel quite ready for prime time in 2.6.21.

Scream now, or hold your peace until 2.6.22... :)

Jeff