Re: forced umount?

From: Pekka J Enberg
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 02:32:35 EST

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Is this revoke system supported for the filesystem as a whole? I thought it
> was just to force specific files closed, not the whole filesystem. What if
> the filesystem itself has pending IO to say, update inodes or block bitmaps?
> Can these be aborted?

We never want to _abort_ pending updates only pending reads. So, even with
revoke(), we need to be careful which is why we do do_fsync() in
generic_revoke_file() to make sure pending updates are flushed before we
declare the inode revoked.

But, I haven't looked at forced unmount that much so there may be other
issues I am not aware of.

Pekka