Re: Corrupt XFS -Filesystems on new Hardware and Kernel

From: David Chinner
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 07:32:13 EST

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 06:16:04PM +0200, Oliver Joa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since some weeks i try to get my new hardware running:
>
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
> Intel DP965LT Mainboard
> Seagate SATA-Harddisk in AHCI-Mode
>
> After some hours of running or after some heavy file-i/o
> (find / | cpio -padm /test) I always get a corrupted
> XFS-filesystem.

What is the corruption message in the log from XFS?
Can you please post that? Without it we really can't help you.

Also, please check to see if there are any I/O errors
in the log around the time the corruption message appears.

> I used already the following Kernels:
> 2.6.19.2
> 2.6.19.7
> 2.6.20.2
> 2.6.20.4
>
> After xfs_repair I get damaged files in lost+found.
>
> I read in newsgroups that the write-cache of the harddisk
> should be turned of, but the messages are all very old.

That's really only an issue for crashes, not runtime failures.

> I also often get a sata-bus-reset with the kernels 2.6.19.2
> and 2.6.20.2.

I/O errors. That's what we need to isolate first. The reports in
your logs are the first thing we need to seeee.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner