Re: appletouch quirk doesn't run at resume

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 09:24:27 EST

On 3/28/07, Jiri Kosina <jikos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Thomas Meyer wrote:

> It seems, that after the resume all usb devices gets removed and plug in
> again (virtually!). This results in a new input device name:

Yes, this is what actually happens. JFYI see current thread on lkml which
is a bit realted - http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/3/27/149 if interested.

> This change confuses the X synaptics driver:
> Touchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 11 nodes)
> Touchpad The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be missing
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/event2
> No such file or directory.
> (WW) Touchpad: cannot open input device
> One could say that the synaptics driver rightly complains about the
> missing event2 device! So is this a bug in the X synaptics driver?

You can of course work this around by adding an udev rule such as

SUBSYSTEM=="input",KERNEL=="event*",SYSFS{name}=="appletouch",SYMLINK+="input/appletouchpad"

and the let Xorg use /dev/input/appletouchpad, which will always be a
symlink to the correct device.

I am not sure if this would help... According to the excerpt from X
log synaptics driver attempted to scan evdev devices and locate the
touchpad. However if this scan happen before udev had a chance to
process the event and create new /dev/input/eventX device node it will
fail.

I wonder if we should adjust the X driver to spin for a couple of
seconds in EventAutoDevProbe if the touchpad was already seen once...
Peter?

--
Dmitry