Re: [FIXED] Re: tty OOPS (Re: 2.6.21-rc5-mm2)

From: Ethan Solomita
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 17:09:28 EST

Andreas Mohr wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:56:32PM +0400, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
The only suspicious new patch in -rc5-mm1 to me is
fix-sysfs-reclaim-crash.patch which removes "sd->s_dentry = NULL;". Note
that whole sysfs_drop_dentry() is NOP if ->s_dentry is NULL.

Could you try to revert it?

Alexey, who knows very little about sysfs internals

Apparently that's still too much knowledge ;)

Or, in other words: 6 reboots already and not a single problem!

So yes, the removal of the NULLing line in this patch most likely
has caused this issue on my box.
Now the question is whether something as simple as that is a fully
correct fix or whether something should be done entirely differently.
I'll let people more familiar with those parts decide about it...

Sorry -- I've only just been cc'd on this mail thread. Are we claiming that this patch/fix has caused a new problem, or successfully fixed an old problem?

Thanks!
-- Ethan