RE: RSDL v0.31

From: David Schwartz
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 03:11:58 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I agree for giving a process more than a fair share, but I don't think
> "latency" is the best term for what you describe later. If you think of
> latency as the time between a process unblocking and the time when it
> gets CPU, that is a more traditional interpretation. I'm not really sure
> latency and CPU-starved are compatible.

For CPU-starvation, I think 'nice' is always going to be the fix. If you
want a process to get more than its 'fair share' of the CPU, you have to ask
for that. I think the scheduler should be fair by default.

However, cleverness in the scheduler with latency can make things better
without being unfair to anyone. It's perfectly fair for a task that has been
blocked for awhile to pre-empt a CPU-limited task when it unblocks.

What I'm arguing is that if your task is CPU-limited and the scheduler is
fair, that's your fault -- nice it. If your task is suffering from poor
latency, and it's using less than its fair share of the CPU (because it is
not CPU-limited), that is something the scheduler can be smarter about.

Two things that I think can help improve interactivity without breaking
fairness are:

1) Keep a longer-term history of tasks that have yielded the CPU so that
they can be more likely to pre-empt when they are unblocked by I/O. (The
improved accounting accuracy may go a long way towards doing this. I
personally like exponential decay measurements of CPU usage.)

2) Be smart about things like pipes. When one process unblocks another
through a pipe, socket, or the like, do not pre-empt (this defeats batching
and blows out caches needlessly), but do try to schedule the unblocked
process soon. Don't penalize one process for unblocking another, that's a
good thing for it to do.

I believe that the process of making schedulers smarter and fairer (and
fixing bugs in them) will get us to a place where interactivity is superb
without sacrificing fairness among tasks at equal static priority.

Honestly, I have always been against aggressive pre-emption. I think as CPUs
get faster and timeslices get shorter, it makes less and less sense. In many
cases you are better off just making the task ready-to-run and allowing its
higher dynamic priority to make it next. I strongly believe this for cases
where the running task unblocked the other task. (I think in too many cases,
you blow out the caches and force a context switch on a task that was just a
few hundred instructions short of being finished with what it was doing as
you punish it for getting useful work done.)

DS