Re: Software RAID (non-preempt) server blocking question. (2.6.20.4)

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 04:12:30 EST

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Neil Brown wrote:

On Tuesday March 27, jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I ran a check on my SW RAID devices this morning. However, when I did so,
I had a few lftp sessions open pulling files. After I executed the check,
the lftp processes entered 'D' state and I could do 'nothing' in the
process until the check finished. Is this normal? Should a check block
all I/O to the device and put the processes writing to a particular device
in 'D' state until it is finished?

No, that shouldn't happen. The 'check' should notice any other disk
activity and slow down if anything else is happening on the device.

Did the check run to completion? And if so, did the 'lftp' start
working normally again?
Yes it did and the lftp did start working normally again.

Did you look at "cat /proc/mdstat" ?? What sort of speed was the check
running at?
Around 44MB/s.

I do use the following optimization, perhaps a bad idea if I want other processes to 'stay alive'?

echo "Setting minimum resync speed to 200MB/s..."
echo "This improves the resync speed from 2.1MB/s to 44MB/s"
echo 200000 > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_speed_min
echo 200000 > /sys/block/md1/md/sync_speed_min
echo 200000 > /sys/block/md2/md/sync_speed_min
echo 200000 > /sys/block/md3/md/sync_speed_min
echo 200000 > /sys/block/md4/md/sync_speed_min

NeilBrown