Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] fix ISDN_CAPI<->ISDN_DIVAS

From: Armin Schindler
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 07:06:33 EST

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 02:49:42PM +0100, Armin Schindler wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > Randy Dunlap reported in kernel Bugzilla #8241 the following compile
> > > error with CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI=m, CONFIG_ISDN_DIVAS=y:
> > >
> > > <-- snip -->

> > > WARNING: "DIVA_DIDD_Read" [drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/divacapi.ko] undefined!
> > > WARNING: "DIVA_DIDD_Read" [drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/diva_mnt.ko] undefined!
> > > WARNING: "DIVA_DIDD_Read" [drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/diva_idi.ko] undefined!
> > > WARNING: "proc_net_eicon" [drivers/isdn/hardware/eicon/diva_idi.ko] undefined!
> > > make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> > >
> > > <-- snip -->
> > >

> > > Kconfig contains the following strange thing:
> > >
> > > menu "Active Eicon DIVA Server cards"
> > > depends on NET && ISDN && ISDN_CAPI!=n
> > >

> > > It seems that except for ISDN_DIVAS_DIVACAPI (that already has a proper
> > > dependency), nothing here actually requires ISDN_CAPI?
> >
> > Not quite true. Yes, the base modules for the divas driver do not require
> > ISDN_CAPI, but without ISDN_CAPI it doesn't make any sense.
>
> Let me try to understand this:
>
> Does it make sense to have CONFIG_ISDN_DIVAS=y, CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI=m?

Yes, this is possible. DIVAS itself does not depend on CAPI.

> And do CONFIG_ISDN_DIVAS=y/m, CONFIG_ISDN_DIVAS_DIVACAPI=n
> configurations make sense?

Yes, but for only for experts who want to use the DIVAS own API
without CAPI.

> If not, what about:
> - let ISDN_DIVAS depend on ISDN_CAPI and
> - enable ISDN_DIVAS_DIVACAPI unconditionally (and perhaps even build
> it into the divas module)?

That would not be correct.

> > The patch below (go into /hardware even for non ISDN_CAPI) is wrong. The
> > subdir /hardware was created for new drivers using CAPI. So it is correct to
> > go there when ISDN_CAPI != n only.
> >
> > I don't understand the warnings above. The symbols are exported by divas
> > modules, so why is it causing warnings? There have been no change in the
> > divas modules for this. Any change in the kernel module creation structure
> > which may causing this?
>
> These aren't warnings, these are errors.
>
> Due to
> obj-$(CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI) += hardware/
>
> hardware/ isn't visited with CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI=m when building vmlinux.
>
> This means the modules were built, but the static code they were using
> wasn't linkd into the kernel.
>
> This might not have occured before since CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI=m,
> CONFIG_ISDN_DIVAS=y is an unusual configuration.

I see. So for DIVAS the line
obj-$(CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI) += hardware/
causes the trouble, because all hardware/ driver are meant to be CAPI
drivers...

In that case we should change hardware/eicon/ as you proposed:
> - let ISDN_DIVAS depend on ISDN_CAPI and

So the solution might be just to change

menu "Active Eicon DIVA Server cards"
depends on NET && ISDN && ISDN_CAPI!=n
menu "Active Eicon DIVA Server cards"