Re: 2.6.21-rc5-mm2 -- ACPI problems (lid switch broken, always shows running from AC, plugging in AC hangs machine)

From: Len Brown
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 13:17:56 EST

On Thursday 29 March 2007 04:15, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:00:45 -0700 "Miles Lane" <miles.lane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 3/28/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > OK, thanks.
> > >
> > > If you have time, could you please test
> > >
> > > 2.6.21-rc5 +
> > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.21-rc5/2.6.21-rc5-mm2/broken-out/origin.patch + ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.21-rc5/2.6.21-rc5-mm2/broken-out/git-acpi.patch
> > > which will allow us to eliminate any non-acpi patches.
> >
> > Okay, I tested with those patches and got the same problems with the
> > resulting build.
> > I can't reproduce the hang on plugging in the AC with either
> > 2.6.21-rc5-mm2 or the
> > build with the patches you sent.

So it sounds like the most serious problem, the hang,
is not reproducible without the reset of the -mm tree.

> > The other problems are 100% reproducible.
> > I have some new details:
> >
> > 1. Power always shows up as plugged in to AC.
> > 2. The lid button is non-operational for initiating a suspend.
> > 3. Suspending from the Gnome shutdown menu works. Afterwards, the
> > lid button works for resuming from suspend.
> > 4. If I suspend, resume and then try to shutdown; when I see the
> > message "The machine will now halt" the power does not shut off. That
> > is, the various buttons on my laptop stay lit up. I am forced to
> > shutdown by holding down the power button for five seconds.
> >

> Thanks. So we can conclude that all these problems are due to changes in
> 2.6.21-rc5-mm2's git-acpi.patch?

Miles,

Please apply the latest acpi patch directly on top of Linus' tree.
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/test/2.6.21/acpi-test-20070126-2.6.21-rc5.diff.gz
If Andrew and I are in sync, you should get the same issues above as above -- no hang,
but still problems 1-4.

Then revert that patch and edit it to delete all changes to ec.c
and apply it again. ie. keep drivers/acpi/ec.c from Linus's tree and re-test.
If the symptoms 1-4 go away, then we've isolated the regression to the changes to ec.c.

Also, it might be helpful to open up a bug report here:
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=ACPI
and attach to it the output from acpidump

thanks,
-Len