Re: [patch 13/13] signal/timer/event fds v9 - KAIO eventfd supportexample ...

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Apr 01 2007 - 16:11:37 EST

Davide Libenzi wrote:

I think it's a bit too fine grained, and a new system call (io_bindfd()?)
would be easier to use. In addition, you would move the eventfd_fget() out of
the submission path.

IMO the cost of the eventfd_fget() (have you seen it?) is not worth adding a new syscall.

There's an atomic op there (and another on the way out). Probably on a busy cacheline. Still it's probably lost in the noise.

Regardless of that, I think that specifying the fd per submission is wrong. It feels like a setup thing that needs to be done once. We shouldn't skimp on syscalls, especially on something as important as unifying the async event model.

Actually, the flags field that Linus suggested may be given an extra meaning of "bind to ctx", that'd solve the problem w/out new syscalls.

I don't see how. It's still per submission. You could do it on the first iocb, but that's just adding warts to the API.

You could add an IO_CMD_BIND_EVENTFD, but that feels wrong too, as it isn't really an I/O command.