Re: [linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs and kthread_run / kernel_thread

From: Q (Igor Mammedov)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 04:01:59 EST

Steve French (smfltc) wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to use cifs inside linux-vserver guests. Discussion this with the vserver people, we found that cifs is using the new kthread_run and the old kernel_thread interface for starting kernel-threads. The old-style interface renders cifs unusable inside a vserver-guest :-(

My questions:

i) Are there newer versions of cifs, where only kthread_run is used in all places?

No - IIRC the original patch (for the switch of cifs from kernel_thread to kthread) had a
minor implementation problem in handling the cifs_demultiplex thread, so this one small
area was left with the old style.

iii) Is it difficult to switch to the new interface?

No, I don't think so, but I have not investigated it. We would be happy
to review and test a patch for this though.

gs cifs # grep kthread_run *.[ch]
cifsfs.c: oplockThread = kthread_run(cifs_oplock_thread, NULL, "cifsoplockd");
cifsfs.c: dnotifyThread = kthread_run(cifs_dnotify_thread, NULL, "cifsdnotifyd");

gs cifs # grep kernel_thread *.[ch]
cifs.mod.c: { 0x7e9ebb05, "kernel_thread" },
connect.c: rc = (int)kernel_thread((void *)(void *)cifs_demultiplex_thread, srvTcp,

Thx,

Wilhelm

It seems to me that I rewrote cifs_demultiplex_thread to use kthread_run in DFS patch.

--

Best regards,