Re: 2.6.21-rc5: Thinkpad X60 gets critical thermal shutdowns

From: Rene Rebe
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 05:04:36 EST

On Sunday 01 April 2007 20:57:57 Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2007, at 02:36:08, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > When I run 2.6.21-rc5 + Andi's x86 patches + paravirt_ops patches,
> > I've been getting my machine shut down with critical thermal
> > shutdown messages:
> >
> > Mar 30 23:19:03 localhost kernel: ACPI: Critical trip point
> > Mar 30 23:19:03 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (128
> > C), shutting down.
> > Mar 30 23:19:03 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (128
> > C), shutting down.
> > Mar 30 23:19:03 localhost shutdown[19417]: shutting down for system
> > halt
> >
> > and the machine does feel pretty hot. Interestingly, when the
> > machine reboots, the fan spins up to a noticeably higher speed, so
> > it seems that maybe something is getting fan speed control wrong.
>
> Well, 128C is more than hot enough to boil water and well above the
> thermal tolerances of most CPUs, so I would imagine that were your
> CPU actually that hot it wouldn't be capable of printing the
> "Critical temperature reached" messages, let alone properly rebooting.

IIRC a MSI Megabook S270 (I formerly owned) BIOS notifies this
"Critical temperature reached (128C)" when the battery run empty
when the OS did no action due to battery low indications. I guess
the BIOS people thought this is a good last resort to let the OS
really shutdown before the box just turns off.

Yours,

+49 (0)30 / 255 897 45