Re: Poor UDP performance using 2.6.21-rc5-rt5

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 05:38:00 EST

* Dave Sperry <dave_sperry@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I checked the clock source and in both the vanilla and rt cases and
> they were both acpi_pm

ok, thanks for double-checking that.

> Here's the oprofile for my vanilla case:

i tried your workload and i think i managed to optimize it some more: i
have uploaded the -rt8 kernel with these improvements included - could
you try it? Is there any measurable improvement relative to -rt5?

one more thing to improve netperf performance is to do this before
running it:

chrt -f -p 50 $$

this will put netperf on the same priority level as the net hardirq and
the net softirq (which both default to SCHED_FIFO:50), and should result
in a (much) reduced context-switch rate.

Or, if networking is not latency-critical, then you could move the net
hardirq and softirq threads to SCHED_BATCH, and run netperf under
SCHED_BATCH as well, using:

chrt -b -p 0 $$

and figuring out the active softirq hardirq thread PIDs and "chrt -b"
-ing them too.

Ingo